Africa and Europe in the news, aggregated from diverse sources by allAfrica.com.
AllAfrica News: Europe and Africa All Africa, All the Time.
- Africa: UK-Africa Trade - What Will Brexit Change?von DW am 19/01/2021 um 04:51
[DW] As part of its post-Brexit global vision, Britain is hosting a UK-Africa trade conference. But its new trade deals fail to offer African nations much extra as Britain falls behind as a trading partner on the continent.
- South Africa: Reflections of a Wayward Boy - Into Exile, and the Streets of Londonvon Daily Maverick am 18/01/2021 um 10:09
[Daily Maverick] When, following further arrests in South Africa in 1965, I decided to go into exile, I had no intention of going any further than Zambia or Tanzania. Naïvely, I saw myself joining the ANC army in exile and returning within five years as apartheid crumbled. Instead, I was ordered out of Zambia 'for his own personal safety', granted political asylum in England and ended the year as a student activist in London.
- Kenya: Olunga's Qatar Move and a Transfer to Turkish 'Bottom' Clubvon Nation am 18/01/2021 um 07:48
[Nation] The biggest subject of debate among Kenyan sports lovers this week has been Michael Olunga's unexpected move from his stomping ground in Japan to Qatar.
- Gambia: Documents Reveal Gambia Signs Switzerland Deportation Agreementvon The Point am 18/01/2021 um 07:47
[The Point] "The operational cooperation with The Gambia over returning citizens generally works well. The agreement covers issues relating to the practical organisations of returnees, such as identifications and the issuing of replacement documents," Switzerland authorities write on their website as Gambia signed migration and civil aviation agreements.
- Uganda: We're Impressed With Uganda Poll, Says EUvon Monitor am 18/01/2021 um 06:50
[Monitor] The Head of the European Union (EU) Delegation in Uganda, Ambassador Atillio Pacifici, has said they are impressed with the level of organisation and peaceful conduct exhibited during the presidential and parliamentary polls held on Thursday.
- Tunisia: Looted Assets in Switzerland - Civil Society Calls On President Saied to Request Extension of Freezing Measuresvon Tunis Afrique Presse am 17/01/2021 um 12:58
[Tunis Afrique Presse] Tunis/Tunisia -- Civil society organisations have revealed that the value of the funds of the family of former President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali in Switzerland affected by the lifting of the freezing measure is estimated at 320 MD.
- Tanzania: Kiswahili Language Gets Big Boost in Francevon Daily News am 16/01/2021 um 20:49
[Daily News] THE Embassy of Tanzania in France, in partnership with the Association of the Tanzanian Diaspora Living in France, has introduced a programme to teach Kiswahili as a way of promoting the language overseas.
- Madagascar: EIB Accelerating Climate Disaster Recovery, Priority Clean Energy and Transport Investmentvon PR Newswire am 16/01/2021 um 19:26
[PR Newswire] Luxembourg -- Further EUR 16.4 million disbursed in October to repair transport in Antananarivo
- Ethiopia: Why Are Western Media Outlets Against Ethiopia?von Ethiopian Herald am 16/01/2021 um 11:01
[Ethiopian Herald] Ethiopia's law enforcement operation in the northern part of Ethiopia was distorted and at best misrepresented in reputable media outlets in the West. Tibebe Samuel, who is the Executive Director of Tibebe and Associates, a US based consulting firm, questions "Why are Western Media outlets against Ethiopia?"
- Guinea: Mining Tycoon Steinmetz On Trial Over Guinea Bribesvon DW am 15/01/2021 um 20:26
[DW] Mining tycoon Beny Steinmetz has appeared in a Geneva court where he is facing trial for allegedly paying bribes to win lucrative mining rights in Guinea.
- Africa: Power Dynamics With Researchers On the Ground Needs a Resetvon The Conversation Africa am 15/01/2021 um 11:23
[The Conversation Africa] Many researchers from the global North (Europe and North America) who do fieldwork in the global South engage research assistants and associates in the geographical field of research.
- Tunisia: Passengers Visiting France Must Present Negative PCR Test (Tunisair)von Tunis Afrique Presse am 15/01/2021 um 09:55
[Tunis Afrique Presse] Tunis/Tunisia -- As of January 18, 2021, all passengers travelling to France will have to present at check-in in Tunisia a negative PCR test carried out less than 72 hours prior to boarding, national carrier Tunisair said Friday.
- Somalia: Somali Premier Assures Turkish Workers' Securityvon Shabelle am 14/01/2021 um 16:06
[Shabelle] The Somali prime minister on Wednesday assured security to Turkish and Qatari construction workers in the East African country.
- Tunisia: Tunisia-France Parliamentary Friendship Group Holds Constitutive Meetingvon Tunis Afrique Presse am 14/01/2021 um 14:44
[Tunis Afrique Presse] Tunis/Tunisia -- The Tunisia-France Parliamentary Friendship Group held, on Wednesday afternoon at the House of People's Representatives (HPR), its constitutive meeting, under chairmanship of its President MP Sofien Makhloufi.
- Africa: Federal Council Stresses Africa's Importance and Adopts First Continent-Wide Strategyvon PR Newswire am 14/01/2021 um 13:58
[PR Newswire] Bern, Switzerland -- At its meeting on 13 January 2021 the Federal Council approved a strategy on Sub-Saharan Africa for the first time. The countries of North Africa are already covered by the MENA strategy adopted by the Federal Council on 14 October 2020. The new strategy recognises the great diversity of the African continent and the challenges and opportunities it presents. It sets out Switzerland's priorities and measures in the region for the 2021-24 period. In addition to peace, the core elements of the strategy are se
- Morocco: Major Polish Companies Wish to Invest in Morocco's Southern Provincesvon MAP am 14/01/2021 um 11:21
[MAP] Warsaw -- Major Polish companies operating in various economic sectors have decided to invest in Morocco, particularly in the Southern Provinces.
- Zimbabwe: EU Demands End to 'Questionable' Detention of Opposition Leaders, Journalistsvon New Zimbabwe am 14/01/2021 um 10:33
[New Zimbabwe] The European Union (EU) in Zimbabwe has demanded an immediate end to "questionable" pre-trial detention of political opponents, journalists and activists in light of a surge in new Covid-19 cases in the country.
- Zimbabwe: Darikwa's Loan Move to Wigan a Blessing in Disguisevon The Herald am 14/01/2021 um 09:17
[The Herald] FOOTBALL is such a dynamic sport in these top professional leagues of Europe, and moreso in the English Premiership where coaches, players and fans are so emotionally attached to roles relating to their clubs.
- Zimbabwe: UK Pledges U.S.$5,4m for 110,000 Food Insecure Urban Dwellersvon New Zimbabwe am 14/01/2021 um 08:22
[New Zimbabwe] THE United Kingdom (UK) is releasing an extra US$5,4 million of aid money to immediately provide food, nutrition, water and shelter to 110 000 vulnerable families living in Zimbabwe's urban areas
- West Africa: Swiss Put Billionaire On Trial, Alleging Mining Corruption in Guineavon International Consortium of Investigative Journalists am 14/01/2021 um 08:03
[International Consortium of Investigative Journalists] Swiss prosecutors allege that the Israeli billionaire and business associates bribed a wife of the former Guinean president to obtain lucrative mining rights.
- Tanzania: EU Funded Project Motivates Farmers to Grow Spicevon Daily News am 14/01/2021 um 06:43
[Daily News] FARMERS in Pemba have been motivated to grow spices, vegetables and fruits following the support project funded by the European Union (EU) and being supervised by the government of Zanzibar.
- Uganda: EU Calls for Credible, Transparent Electionvon Monitor am 13/01/2021 um 16:44
[Monitor] As the country goes to the polls, the Delegation of the European Union Commission in Uganda has called for a credible, inclusive and transparent 2021 General Election to allow all Ugandans to exercise their democratic rights without fear of intimidation or violence.
- Guinea: Corruption Trial of Israeli Billionaire Begins in Switzerlandvon Public Eye am 13/01/2021 um 13:26
[Public Eye] Today, a historic trial is starting in Calvin's city. Israeli billionaire Beny Steinmetz faces charges of "corruption of foreign public officials" and "document forgery" with two business partners. He is alleged to have arranged the transfer of at least USD 8.5 million from 2006 to 2012 to get his hands on the Simandou iron-ore deposit in the Republic of Guinea. Switzerland must take preventive action so that it will no longer be complicit in predatory practices that deprive the populations of resour
- Liberia: France to Invest Significantly in Liberiavon Observer am 13/01/2021 um 11:18
[Observer] President George Manneh Weah has held bilateral talks with French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves le Drain on the margins of the inaugural ceremonies of Ghanaian President Nana Akufo-Addo in Accra.
- Zimbabwe: Tino Kadewere Nominated for French Ligue 1 Player of the Month Awardvon New Zimbabwe am 13/01/2021 um 08:36
[New Zimbabwe] Warriors star Tino Kadewere has been recognised for his fine form at Olympique Lyon after being nominated for the December Player of the Month award in the French Ligue 1.
- Zimbabwe: UK Widens Travel Banvon The Herald am 12/01/2021 um 09:48
[The Herald] Bulawayo Bureau
- Zimbabwe: Darikwa Eager to Make Instant Impact At Wigan Athleticvon New Zimbabwe am 12/01/2021 um 08:44
[New Zimbabwe] WARRIORS defender Tendayi Darikwa is determined to make up for lost time by making an instant impact after joining English League One side Wigan Athletic until the end of the 2020-21 campaign.
- Somalia: 150 Somali Elite Soldiers Begin Training in Turkeyvon Dalsan Radio am 11/01/2021 um 10:43
[Dalsan Radio] Turkey has started military training for over 150 Somalia's newly recruited elite soldiers as part of a plan to train a third of the country's armed forces.
- Egypt: Egypt, Netherlands Cooperate to Develop Minya's Beni Hassan Ancient Areavon Egypt Online am 10/01/2021 um 20:40
[Egypt Online] A delegation of the Tourism Ministry and the Dutch Institute here toured on Sunday 10/1/2021 Beni Hassan ancient area in the Upper Egyptian governorate of Minya in preparation for developing tourist services there.
- Africa: Africa's Road to Recovery in 2021 Is a Fresh Startvon Chatham House am 09/01/2021 um 14:38
[Chatham House] The continent now has a chance to reshape its relations with the global economy to create greater pan-African prosperity and resilience for future generations.